Monday, March 08, 2004

Stein kept the Mavs in the top five in his power rankings. I'm surprised. Really. Three losses to teams on the road isn't as bad as three home losses, but it's just the wrong time to have a bad streak. A week ago, we were the third seed. Now, we are the fifth seed. It's sad. But who knows?

The way I see it right now, the Mavs want to play San Antonio in the first round. And the only way to do that is to land the sixth seed. That means letting Memphis jump ahead of them. That's not a bad idea, because Memphis is very capable of pulling off an upset in the first round. And if they were the fifth seed, their first round opponent would be the Lakers. Minnesota would play Houston in the first round, and Houston just got a win over them in Minny. Maybe there's something to the playoffs this year. The midwest division is tougher than ever, and maybe its set up for seeds 2 - 4 to fall. I don't think Sacto will lose to whomever the eighth seed is. If it's Denver, they will get killed.

Something's up, I just don't know what. I wouldn't mind playing San Antonio in the first round. I think we are very capable of pulling it off. Win your home games, and 1 out of 4 road games in a series, and you win the series. I think the Mavs can win 25% of their road games. And if I am correct that Dallas falls to six, then the second round would be the winner of Minny and Houston. Houston in the second round would be sweet. And then it would be setup for the Kings in the conference finals. Yea!

Now I really want that 6th seed.

By the way, the last team to win a championship with a low seeding, was Houston. They were the sixth seed.