Sunday, November 16, 2003

Man, this is going to be one pissed off Andy for a while. Didn't want to see the Cowboys lose, but oh well. I'll get over it eventually. And didn't those Longhorns pull one out of their A? I thought it was great though. Almost made me soil my shorts.

But anyway, on to the next topic. Have you ever heard or said, "Wow, you two make a good couple?" Isn't it odd that only some couples seem like they fit together really well? You'd figure that it would be said more often, especially when two people get married. So what's up with "natural couples?"

After hearing that previously mentioned phrase once and saying it a few times, I became determined to figure out what causes two people to come off as a natural couple. After analyzing each situation, it comes down to a few things.

First, the score for each half of the couple on the "looks" scale must be near equal. If the chic is super hot and the guy looks like the hunchback, obviously it doesn't look natural. But if they are both moderately attractive, then it works out just fine.

Second, both types must complement each other. You can't have a skater dude and a goth chic. It just doesn't look right. But, if you have a real preppy chic with the standard preppy jock, it looks fine. Two people that don't have a specified group usually match up well. I would go so far as to say that band nerds should probably stick with other band nerds, but it doesn't work. Well, sometimes it does, but it shouldn't. Of all the band relationships I've seen, only one or two have actually lasted and worked.

Third, the music each person listens to must overlap their significant other's choice of music. A guy who digs punk doesn't seem like a perfect fit for a country girl. Two people that listen to the top 100 station will fit fine. A guy that digs heavy rap metal just shouldn't coexist with girl who listens to classical. But, if a guy listens to everything besides country (like yours truly), then a girl who listens to any music should be just fine.

Fourth, their real life problems should be of the same degree. If a guy is a heavy druggie, he shouldn't be with a religious chic. It doesn't make too much sense. I'd give another example, but I can't think of one right off the bat.

Fifth, and probably most important, the two people should act very clingy and lovey-dovey in the presence of others. It shouldn't be forced, because then it's just a big lie, and as my previous post mentioned, lying gets you a big ticket to limbo. If the hugs and hand holding just happen with no influence, it comes off as very natural. When a couple never seems to argue, it comes off as natural. If it's all smiles...you get the idea.

I'll throw in a sixth. Each half should not be selfish at all. If everytime they see each other they have a gift or something like that, then it appears very complementing. Oh yea...I mentioned selfishness in my last post as well. I forgot.

Now, it doesn't take all six, maybe just four or five. All of these requisites just happen. They can't be forced, because force gets you nowhere. Meet a couple that has most of these qualities, and watch how long they last. If they are split up, it is probably because of an external cause.

The term "natural couple" can also apply to two people who are just friends. Each of the previously mentioned qualities can be displayed by "just friends" except for the first and fifth. If the remaining four signs are there, it might seem as though they are a couple. These are things that couples have.

Sorry if I keep saying, "so and so are probably a couple, they just haven't come out about it." But I don't apologize for saying "oh, they're a natural couple." That should be taken as a compliment. Maybe it should also be taken as advice to go for it.

Whatever. Get out of my face. Lucky that I even said, "sorry." I usually don't apologize, seeing as how they are just words, and can be faked easily. You can see through an apology by looking at the eyes. It's easy. Every emotion is displayed through the eyes. So an apology shouldn't require words.

I'm going to sleep. Guess what my feelings are when my eyes are closed...